Friday, December 28, 2012

Machine Head

It's been a long day, and not just for me. Consort has been doing some computer version of a colonoscopy on this computer and they are both a little worse for the wear. Also, last night Consort fixed the dryer. The household objects are celebrating the season the way they always do; by grumbling and emitting a worrisome burnt-plastic odor. I'm in my usual state when he does household-ish things very ably; 51% impressed we didn't have to hire anyone and 49% concerned there might be a quiz about all those technical bits he droned on about.

I'm not entirely certain but I think he said the dryer needed a new defibrillator. Possibly the dryer's depilatory has died. Now that I think of it, it might have been the dictator.

But at least he caught and removed a couple of nasty polyps in the RAM before they came to anything.

3 Comments:

Blogger StevenIre said...

I hear tell that parts is parts and sundry. I mean it is time to sun dry. In the winter, clothes will be freeze-dried. Take your pick; the dryer is dead boss.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Mark Moran said...

Growing up, as the oldest of 11 (yes, that's not a typo) I had to watch after the young'ns, especially in the summer, so they didn't suffer from (as my sister Maryanne would say) "heat frustration." I have another great Maryanne story that involves the Mickey Mouse Club, but I'll save that for another post ...

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Pat Christensen said...

I live in a household with TWO computer experts, my sister and brother-in-law. The reason they coexist so peacefully in this respect is that my sister is the software expert and my brother-in-law is the hardware expert. He does "systems" and "networking" and occasionally degutting the beasts and reassembling them. He can tell some fun stories from his job. But my favorite bit of info that he gave me was a term that sounds like a cross between a sneer and a cat yurking up a furball: PEBCAK.

It's the general diagnosis his team was taught to give for certain "computer problems" they were called upon to resolve in the company. It stands for: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home