Wednesday, June 09, 2010

In a Land Called Fantasy

It's come to this. Whatever rich inner fantasy life I once had, I just spent many happy minutes reading my friend Danny Miller's blog and putting myself in the story. Was I basking in the glory of his son who fought so hard to be here and is rewarding his parents with the best disposition ever? Well, sure. Go over there and tell me Charlie Miller isn't the exemplar of joy, the avatar of bliss.

But that isn't the fantasy.

The fantasy is how Danny, a mortal just like the rest of us, has now been given a new Buick to drive around for a week. TWICE. I'm sure the arrangement with GM is "We'll loan it to you and if you like it, it would be ever so nice if you could write about how you liked it." Danny is honorable and has shown no interest in writing fiction so I suspect his raves about both cars are heartfelt. Then again, he drives a 1994 Honda when the clock strikes midnight, so his standards are probably, shall we say, as realistic as mine. But those cars do look sweet. Both cars look as if they don't make a weird ticking noise when you turn off the a/c, or a poultry-throttling rattle when you try to unlock the doors, like a certain car I could name. And without even seeing them in real life, I know they smell better than my car. And aren't sticky. My car is sticky all the time now, even immediately after leaving the car wash. I think it's exuding rubber cement.

So I read about Danny, Charlie and Kendall's adventure and I cooed and restrained myself from petting the computer screen. General Motors might not be the shoo-in for Company of the Decade but this loaner of theirs was simple act of pure genius. I'm now thinking something I assure you I have never considered in my life: I could see myself in a Buick.

My fantasy life may have entered a suburban cul-de-sac, but I've put the car in idle and I'm not backing out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Char said...

when i had my old toyota that would mysteriously die during random left turns, leaving me stuck and praying to the japanese car gods - i would see good cars on the street and would picture myself behind the wheel.

now i picture myself with a paid off car.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for not ending up like Gary Colman and those other child stars. At least you're trying to make a living! .

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin said...

As my loved beetle bug is giving me problems (like not cranking), I was so jealous and enthralled by this. I also ended up spending lots of time at your friend's blog. I trust your taste!

Thanks for another great read!!!

BTW, I'm a bit offended by the previous comment. I think you're thriving, not just trying to make a living. Amazing authoress, blogger, homeschooling mother, and business woman. So, watch it, Anon. ;-) (Does this pacifist vegan look tough?) :)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thank you for the link. That little feller and his family made me smile!

My Himself is entering the trauma stage of having to replace his car. I have no such feelings. The thing needs to go, because it has to be parked facing downhill for it to start. Our mechanic told him the car was terminal. I mean, please. Get over it. Go get another one. They all look the same, and have for the last 30 years! He is funny about this.

Oh, I asked a friend who somehow knows about sticky cars, and she said that it is probably wax build up perhaps, maybe. She knows about sticky cars, doesn't hesitate to give advice, but always hedges. I asked her if it was like floors, and found out that apparently I am the last person in the known universe to wax floors.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As I'm sure you know, I'm a huge fan of Danny, his blog, and Charlie. He is the cutest baby ever, and what a disposition. Danny and Kendall might drive crappy cars, but man oh man, do they make a great baby!

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Paula said...

I've been reading Danny Miller's blog for years, even though I don't personally know him, and I just love it. His blog led me to your blog, which I also enjoy enormously. Charlie is such a miracle!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Danny said...

Can't believe it took me a whole month to see this post. Thanks for not calling me out as a corporate shill--all my raves about GM cars are completely heartfelt. I'm back in my 94 Civic after a lovely 10 days in a very macho GMC Terrain (except for the XM radio which was permanently tuned to the Oprah Network and On Broadway). Charlie is not pleased. And the Honda is furious--it hasn't spoken to me in months after all my public dissing. The truth is, it's a great car, just way past its prime (suppressing joke about aging celebrities). I'm determined that my next car be American or at least from a member of the Allied forces.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home