Friday, May 21, 2010

Maid Marion On Her Tiptoe Feet

Today I attempted to ameliorate or possibly avenge the Van Halen Consort has brought into my daughter life. Today, May 21st, shall hereafter be known around here as Skinny British Boys day. Elvis Costello, Bryan Ferry, XTC (Let's declare Andy Partridge to be two skinny British boys) and Squeeze. I ended with "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)" because it's just about the bounciest song ever.

Daughter and I flung ourselves around, loudly singing "Pulling mussels from the shell". And then we played it again, because that's one of the advantages of having your own child: brainwashing. The second time, she started trying to make sense of the rest of the lyrics of "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)," an activity which has been known to induce seizures.


She suggested we Google the lyrics. I suddenly had a distant adolescent memory that the whole song was obliquely dirty. I prescreened; in case you're curious, it might be dirty, but only if you're a very bored and febrile teenager. It doesn't, however, make a speck of sense.

But oh, were they skinny and British.

On we danced.

6 Comments:

Blogger Char said...

i love dancing with my nieces in the kitchen. unfortunately they tend to like the black eyed peas...they don't quite get the temptations yet.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've been slowly but surely brainwashing my own daughter to love my own cherished 80s pop songs as well as showtunes. Hubby isn't particularly a fan of either genre, so he counters by attempting to brainwash her with endless airings of his Beatles and Bruce Springsteen playlists. As I also quite enjoy the Beatles and the Boss, the joke's on him.

Oh, my delight when she's off playing in the next room and we can hear her singing a few bars of "Hungry Like the Wolf" or to hear her whistling "Everlasting Love" as she is washing up for dinner...

I just can't wait 'til she's old enough for my Bowie and Aerosmith playlists. (She'll be 7 next week, so I don't feel right in playing those in her presence just yet.) MWAH HA HA HA HAAAAA!

5:45 AM  
Anonymous MidLifeMama said...

Lately my 3 year old son wants to have naked dance parties by night light in the bathroom before he takes his bath in the evening. He's naked, I am not. I would like to clarify that. But the whole thing about it being dark except for the night light leaves me wondering what the future holds for his extracurricular activities...

6:07 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Next time, throw a little Haircut 100 into the mix. Love Plus One and /or
Favourite Shirts go very nicely with Squeeze.

2:30 PM  
Blogger lisahgolden said...

One of the best things to come out of the whole Rockband/Guitar Hero craze in our house is that now our kids have been exposed to all kinds of music. I love it when they recognize something I grew up with and they know the lyrics. Although hearing my 11 year old sing Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue" is a bit weird.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squeeze! Still love them.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home