Monday, May 24, 2010

Don't Know When I'll be Back Again

Actual conversation from my actual house this morning:

We're going somewhere. Daughter has been sent off to get ready. I'm all about autonomy these days, so I supervised none of it. She apparated in the kitchen, fully dressed.

QUINN: Are you ready to go?

DAUGHTER: Yes.

QUINN: So, your bed is made?

DAUGHTER: No.

QUINN: Teeth brushed?

DAUGHTER: No.

QUINN: Face washed?

DAUGHTER: No.

QUINN: Bag packed for later?

DAUGHTER: No. But I did put a scarf on the cat.

We stare at one another for a second while I try to think how I'm going to frame this so it doesn't do permanent psychological harm but also entertains me.

QUINN: I appreciate your honesty. Perhaps we might describe you as "Almost ready"?

DAUGHTER: Perhaps.

When she grows up and becomes an organizational expert, we'll all agree to forget this moment.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Alyson said...

..."how I"m going to frame this so it doesn't do permanent psychological harm but also entertains me." GENIUS.

This shall be my new parenting goal.

Thank you. I needed a goal (besides getting them out to school alive in the morning.)

Alyson

11:45 AM  
Blogger Char said...

LOL you handled it much better than i usually do

12:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You had me at apparated.

My daughter shares your daughter's fluid and rather nebulous definition of the word ready. At least yours managed to get both herself and the cat clothed.......

Ooooh, my word verification word is mizese. That sounds like the perfect word to describe my mood and the day I've been having thus far. A vast sense of mizese.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Nice to know this isn't just a boy thing.

But maybe it's a homeschool thing?

(Contemplating possible permanent damage done to son's future career options through my scrupulous attention to his ability to express himself in iambic pentameter, but occasional obliviousness as to whether his toes were tending to match the color of his socks)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous --Deb said...

I'm glad to hear the cat will be warm today.

3:01 PM  
Blogger OHN said...

There is nothing more appealing than a decked out cat.

Priorities mom :)

4:40 PM  
Blogger StaceyEsq said...

How is it possible that you have a daughter older than you are?

5:58 PM  
Blogger moonbow said...

This is so California.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

I really burst out with this one. I rarely comment but always read. Thanks always for the fun here!

4:00 PM  
Blogger frozensun11 said...

Haha! I love your daughter's priorities. I'm so glad I found your blog :-) I am really enjoying it.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home