Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blog Book Tour: Rebecca

Rebecca asks:

When you think of all the meanings of toast, which is your favorite? And why?

First, I'd like to note that "Toast" is a very euphonic word. The soft "T," the brief aimless jaunt through the long "O" sound, and then a soft but conclusive "ST" to take us out.

Maybe it's the morning, but I knew I couldn't think of all the definitions for toast, so I asked the inexaustible Google and here's what I got:

slices of bread that have been toasted
a celebrity who receives much acclaim and attention; "he was the toast of the town"
crispen: make brown and crisp by heating; "toast bread"; "crisp potatoes"
goner: a person in desperate straits; someone doomed; "I'm a goner if this plan doesn't work"; "one mistake and you're toast"
propose a toast to; "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year"
pledge: a drink in honor of or to the health of a person or event


This morning, right now, I'd say my favorite meaning for the word toast is the pledging, drinking in honor of one. No particular reason, except maybe that I saw HBO's "Grey Gardens" last night and Drew Barrymore's performance deserved many toasts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe B. said...

The word toast always reminds me of this lovely misty/rainy morning I spent in downtown Minneapolis one weekend while covering a karate tournament of all things.

I ducked into this lovely li'l brick walled breakfast place and the smell of their toast (honey whole wheat) was just glorious, with Debussy playing on the stereo and, strangely, not one sound of a spoon clanking against the side of a coffee cup.

It was still summer hot in LA and the mist and rain was such a welcome surprise on this Minnesota morning. I walked the streets with my face tilted skyward refreshed and I felt cleansed.

Thanks. I've never told that story before.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous rebecca said...

I'd forgotten about the "goner" definition when I posed the question.

I think I'll now have to use the word toast more often, maybe title a piece with it. will let you know...

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home