Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blog Book Tour: Mel

Mel asks: The gray flannel pants. Do you still own them? Do you still wear them? http://qcreport.blogspot.com/2006/10/woman-in-gray-flannel-pants.htmlWhat are you reading now? What did you read last? What's up next?

First, the pants. I took them out to wear them one bright winter day this year and the sunlight hit them just right and I flinched at the brightness. Oh, they are much more worn and shiny than I thought! I will not wear them again, I am both sad and relieved to say. But I have yet to give them away because I simultaneously believe that a) They're too shiny to give away and expect someone to wear and b) They aren't that bad and maybe I'll wear them next fall. It's like I'm trying to get a mental disease named after me or something.

What am I reading now? I just finished The Story of a Marriage, which is small and quiet and wonderful. If you were ever completely certain that you were doing the right thing, I suggest you page through Mistakes were Made, But not By Me. I read Jen Lancaster's new book, which is the usual Lancastrian lively romp and entertaining company. And I keep skimming through books written ostensibly for middle-schoolers, because I want to check them out before the kid does because not all the content is appropriate. But I'm not sure that counts as reading as much as policing. Next? I think I'm going to drag out Miss Wharton, because it's hot and she's very cooling.

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Oh, yes, Edith Wharton! Read Summer or Ethan Frome!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Thanks for the answers. You rock.

And the gray flannel pants . . . well, they are immortal. Eternal. Perhaps you can donate them to the Smithsonian.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, but Ethan Frome, so sad and depressing!!!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I don't want to feed your habit, but run a sweater stone over the flannel. Not that I would know, but some of us have had a pair of navy flannel pants that are older than dirt and respond in a positive manner (lose that shine thing) to a massage with the sweater stone.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous La BellaDonna said...

Kathyrn is bang on the money for restoring your trousers and reducing the shine. If you don't have a sweater stone, you can use sandpaper, which was going to be my original suggestion.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home