Sunday, December 14, 2008

What I want under the tree.

As you all know, this blog is free to all readers. I don't take advertising, because I like the idea of doing this for no better reason than it pleases me. I never ask anything of my readers but that they show up once a week or so, read my stuff and, ideally give me a suggestion or two as to how to give a dog a pill. But now, I have a request. Please, please read the letter below and then get yourself into the National Marrow Donor program.

I know that $52.00 is probably more than you intended to spend on me; I won't expect a birthday present this year. But the nephew of my dear friend is really sick, and he needs someone. Maybe it's you. Or maybe you don't help him but you help someone else, someone whose family is terrified and hoping for a miracle right now.

Haven't you always wanted to be a hero?

Dear Friends and Family,

As some of you may know, our nine-year old nephew Nico has been undergoing treatment for leukemia these last 3 and a half years. A few weeks ago, he suffered a relapse. He now urgently needs to find a donor for a bone marrow transplant to save his life. He has only a few months to find a match.

We write to ask if you’d be willing to take a few minutes to go to the
National Marrow Donor Program and register to be a marrow donor. It costs $52 dollars to register: you’ll be sent a sample kit at which time you swab the inside of your cheek and send it back. That’s it.

If you turn out to be a match, marrow donation is a simple, painless procedure, drawing only 5% of your marrow, which your body will completely replenish within a few weeks. Most people experience mild fatigue and soreness for only a few days.

Nico’s mother is asking for as many people as possible to register. Because of his particular genetic makeup, the odds of his finding a perfect match is one in a million, but if enough people registered, we could improve the odds. Even if you don’t register, PLEASE PASS THIS LETTER ON TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. This simple, generous act could save his life now or someone else’s down the road.

If you’d like to be tested only for Nico, we would also be very grateful. You will need to have your tissue typing test done privately so please contact us for information at nicodonor@yahoo.com.

Finally, please pray for Nico, this beautiful, kind-hearted and treasured son, nephew, grandson, cousin and friend.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and we wish you a blessed, healthy holiday season.

Stacey and Chris

13 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

This is such a great cause. My husband and I registered years ago when friends of friends, with a child sick with leukemia, held a registration drive. Thanks for posting it, I hope for a full recovery for Nico.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wanted to address the $52.00 registration fee and gee, that seems a lot and I wonder why they would charge so much but I could not articulate my words. But I guess I just did, just not in a very well articulated manner. :^)
I'll see what I can do and in the mean time, send well wishes his way...

5:37 PM  
Blogger Leta said...

I've been registered for years as well and have always hoped that I would be a match for someone some day.

Registration drives were being held all over Montgomery County, Maryland, where I live, and I stood in line for over 2 hours. My chances of being a match for Allison Atlas, the local girl who needed the bone marrow, were beyond tiny but it was worth it just in case.

Good luck to your friend and her family. Thoughts and prayers...

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been registered for a couple of years--there are a lot of administrative costs (they have to do the typing, keep it on file, keep track of where the donors are in case they are a match, etc--it's a one time fee, might be tax deductible, and might save a life). I hope little Nico will find a match.

5:16 AM  
Blogger BiPolar Wife said...

Thank you for this post. I have wanted to be registered for some time (hubby is) but have gotten caught in my own little life to do it. This has inspired me to register now instead of waiting another day.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I tried to become a bone marrow donor years ago when my nephew had Burketts Lymphoma, but because of my heart disease, which is genetic, I'm unable to donate. I wish I could, because I would have loved to be a match for my nephew who died at the age of 5. It's a wonderful and noble thing to do. When my children turn 18 I'm going to encourage them to register as donors.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Damn. You're making it hard for me to be selfish this season.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Swistle said...

I am already in the registry, so will just say best wishes and that I hope all the time that I will someday be a match for someone.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if you really, really want to register but can't afford it, every now and then there is a free time. I got in on that last time so I had no excuse! Keep a watch out for the next time.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My medical condition says no unfortunately but my prayers are with Nico and the entire family. Bless you all.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Tiana said...

Thanks for this post, I'm registering and encouraging everyone I know and don't do to so as well.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Nancy at the Farm said...

We tried to get our Mum registered but unfortunately the old bat takes anti-inflammatory drugs for her arthritis (we seriously think she is faking but that is another story). Honestly, if Mum gets much older she won't be allowed to register so we're going to try alternative therapies on her (most of which will include dog cookies) to see if we can keep her from tipping over too soon. We will spread the word.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Caroline Davoust said...

I have never thought to consider donating bone marrow up until this point, except to think, "If my mom needed it, I would give her my bone marrow." After reading this, I called my parents for a very brief discussion and now my kit is on its way.

As well as making all of your readers' days that much brighter with each post, you are motivating us to help. Thank you, Quinn.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home